Friday, February 1, 2013

How are wikis used in the classroom?

Prior to this class, I had never used a wiki and like many of my classmates, I was having difficulty envisioning how to use a wiki with my students. However, after research ways to use a wiki in the classroom, I realized there are many different ways. I plan on working with upper elementary age students and I was concerned how younger kids could manage a wiki. I think wikis are very easy to use and can be a great way of organizing subject related content. For example, I found that wikis are great for language art purposes. Students can create an annotated virtual library where they have a list of both independent and whole class readings. This is also a great way to do a book share. Students can create an annotated page for their book, including a picture of the cover, information about the author, and a synopsis about the book. Not only can this be used as a visual aid while the students present, but other students can go back and look on the wiki later in the year to find a book to read. Wikis can also act as a class encyclopedia and dictionary. The students can add a word and its definition they learned while reading their book or add an interesting fact in the encyclopedia. Wikis do not have to only be contained to language arts. They can also be used for all other subjects. For math, it can be a place to have all the formulas or key terms the students need to know. Also for science and social studies, key terms and places can be recorded as well as instructions for science experiments. There are so many different ways to introduce wikis to younger students and it will definitely be a tool that I use in my classroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment