When I was searching for an educational wiki to review, I had difficulty finding one I liked. I wanted to find one that I could get ideas for my future class. However, many were for older students like high school age and the ones for elementary age were never quite right. Many times they were too disorganized and confusing. The wiki I settled on was Mrs. Anderson's 2nd grade class. While 2nd grade is probably younger than I will be teaching, I really like the overall idea of the wiki. This wiki was designed as a way for parents and other family members to view their child's work. Each child had their own personal page that was a showcase for all their projects. Not only does this make the parents feel included in their child's class, but it also gives the child a since of ownership and pride in their hard work. While I liked the idea, the only thing I have to criticize is the front page. It had a lot of great resources on it, but it was too cluttered. You had to scroll all the way down to find the links to each student's page. When I create my own wiki for my classroom, I will take this into consideration and possibly have those resources on an entirely different page. Overall I loved the idea of having a classroom wiki as a way to exhibit the students' work.
A place to capture my struggles and achievements throughout my technology journey.
Thursday, February 21, 2013
Educational Wiki Summary
When I was searching for an educational wiki to review, I had difficulty finding one I liked. I wanted to find one that I could get ideas for my future class. However, many were for older students like high school age and the ones for elementary age were never quite right. Many times they were too disorganized and confusing. The wiki I settled on was Mrs. Anderson's 2nd grade class. While 2nd grade is probably younger than I will be teaching, I really like the overall idea of the wiki. This wiki was designed as a way for parents and other family members to view their child's work. Each child had their own personal page that was a showcase for all their projects. Not only does this make the parents feel included in their child's class, but it also gives the child a since of ownership and pride in their hard work. While I liked the idea, the only thing I have to criticize is the front page. It had a lot of great resources on it, but it was too cluttered. You had to scroll all the way down to find the links to each student's page. When I create my own wiki for my classroom, I will take this into consideration and possibly have those resources on an entirely different page. Overall I loved the idea of having a classroom wiki as a way to exhibit the students' work.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment