Monday, April 1, 2013

Interactive White Board

I had never worked with IWB or ActivInspire software prior to this class. I was somewhat skeptical of its benefits when I was first introduced to the technology. I was having trouble envisioning elementary kids using it in the classroom. However, once I started my own flipchart, I immediately saw all the possibilities IWB has in the classroom, especially for deaf students. ActivInspire flipcharts provide students with the content in an interactive way. It helps for the teacher to not have to only rely on expository teaching for providing a lot of content information. Deaf students receive very little from straight lecturing; they need a way to interact with the content and be hands-on. With the IWB, they can be interactive because it is very student led. It is also very visual, which any visual aid is extremely helpful when presenting new information to deaf children.

The directions provided in the packets were very helpful when creating my own flipchart. When I was using an interactive tool that was provided in the packet, the directions were very clear and step-by-step. I think there are many more ways to include interactivity with the flipcharts that were not discussed in the packet or class. I think it would be very beneficial to provide additional ideas and examples for interactive tools for those who would like to experiment more with the ActivInspire technology.

Here is a screen shot of my flipchart on the water cycle.


No comments:

Post a Comment